1. If you travel by road from Buenos Aires to Caracas, what is the minimum number of Countries within South America through which you can travel, including the origin and the destination?
Answer (b) Explanation :
✓ Buenos Aires is the capital of Argentina and Caracas is the capital of Venezuela.
✓ While travelling from Buenos Aires to Caracas if you go through Brazil you have to travel through 3 countries only (Argentina, Brazil and Venezuela). Brazil is located between Venezuela and Argentina.
✓ The thirteenth summit of the Group of Twenty (G20) will be held in Buenos Aires, the
capital of Argentina. Hence the city is in news.
✓ Venezuela is in news due to a wave of anti-government protests against President Nicolas Maduro’s United Socialist Party (PSUV) Government since April which has killed dozens of people in protest-related violence.
2. Consider the following statements:
1. Brazil is the only country in the world through which both the equator and the Tropic of Capricorn pass.
2. The equator passes only through Brazil and Colombia in South America.
3. The Atacama Desert lies on the east of Andes Mountains in Chile.
Which of the statements given above is/arecorrect?
(a) 1 only
(b) 2 only
(c) 2 and 3 only
(d) 1 and 2 only
Answer (a) Explanation :
✓ Brazil is the only country in the world through which both the Tropic of Cancer and the Tropic of Capricorn pass.
✓ The equator passes through Brazil, Ecuador and Colombia in South America.
✓ Thirteen countries in the world lie on the earth's equator — located at 0 degrees latitude — though not all of these countries' landmasses necessarily touch the equator itself.
✓ Sao Tome and Principe, Gabon, Republic of the Congo, the Democratic Republic of the Congo, Uganda, Kenya, Somalia, Maldives, Indonesia, Kiribati, Ecuador, Colombia and Brazil all lie along the equator, and though the landmasses of Maldives and Kiribati do not touch the equator itself, the equator passes through water controlled by these two territories.
✓ The Atacama Desert (is a plateau in South America, covering a 1,000-kilometre (600 mi) strip of land on the Pacific coast, west of the Andes Mountains. The rain-shadow effect of the Andes mountain discourages precipitation, thereby favoring the formation of Atacama Desert.
3. The Amazon river does not flow through
Answer (c) Explanation :
The Amazon and its tributaries flow through the countries of Peru, Bolivia, Venezuela, Colombia, Ecuador, and Brazil before emptying into the Atlantic Ocean 6, 437 kilometers (4,000 miles) from the Amazon's headwaters high in the Andes Mountains of Peru.
4. Consider the following pairs:
Deserts : Region
1. Patagonia : North America
2. Sahara : Northern Africa
3. Kalahari : Southern Africa
4. Gobi : Russia
Which of the above pairs are correctly matched?
(a) 1 and 2
(b) 2 and 3
(c) 3 and 4
(d) 2 and 4
Answer (b) Explanation : Patagonia desert is in South America and The Gobi Desert is a vast, arid region in northern China and southern Mongolia.
5. Which of the following country is not a member of MERCOSUR?
Answer (c) Explanation : MERCOSUR is an economic and political bloc in South America, comprising Argentina, Brazil, Paraguay, and Uruguay, and Venezuela. (Venezuela is currently suspended)