6. With reference to ‘bicameral legislature’, which of the following statements is/are
(1) Countries with large size and diversity usually prefer bicameral legislature.
(2) In India, the procedure to establish Legislative Council in a State is initiated by
the State government concerned.
(3) At present only six Indian States have bicameral legislature in India. Select the correct answer using the code given below: (a) 1 only (b) 2 and 3 only (c) 1 and 2 only (d) None of the above
Ans: (c) Explanation:
Statement 1 is correct: Countries with large size and much diversity usually prefer two houses of the national legislature to give representation to all sections of the society and all geographical regions.
Statement 2 is correct: Under Article 169 of the Indian Constitution State governments has been given the option of establishing either a unicameral or bicameral legislature (Legislative Council as second house). They can do so by passing a resolution in Legislative Assembly, sending it to parliament for ratification.
Statement 3 is incorrect: Presently, seven states have formed legislative councils; thus, have bicameral legislative set up. Earlier; six states i.e. Andhra Pradesh, Maharashtra, Bihar, Jammu and Kashmir, Karnataka, Uttar Pradesh had legislative councils but recently Telangana was added to the list.
• Odisha is planning to form a legislative council or Vidhan Parishad.
• Tamilnadu government had passed a law to set up a Legislative Council but the subsequent government withdrew it after coming to power in 2010.
• Proposals to create Legislative Councils in Rajasthan and Assam are pending in Parliament.
Source: 11 the NCERT Indian Constitution at Work –Ch. Page number - 102,103,104.
7. Which of the following features related to 'Indian Judiciary' have been provided in
the Constitution of India?
(1) Judicial Independence
(2) Judicial Supremacy
(3) Integrated Judiciary for the Union and the States
(4) Each State with its own High Court independent of the jurisdiction of the
Select the correct answer using the code given below:
(a) 1 and 2 only
(b) 1 and 3 only
(c) 1, 2 and 3 only
(d) 1, 2, 3 and 4
Ans: (b) Explanation: The Indian Constitution ensures an independent Judiciary with provisions like - No role of the Parliament in appointment of the Judges, Contempt of Court, Security of tenure etc. Judicial Supremacy exists in the United States of America but not in case of Indian Judiciary There is a single integrated Judiciary in India for both the Union and the States. The Supreme Court exercises Appellate Jurisdiction over High Courts under Articles 132,133 and 134 of the Indin Constitution. Hence only 1 and 3 are correct.
Source: Class Lectures
8. Match List-I with List-II and select the correct answer using the code given below:
List - I List - II
A. Affirmative : 1. Universal Adult Action Franchise
B. Equality of opportunity : 2. The Trafficking of Persons (Prevention, Protection and Rehabilitation) Bill, 2018
C. Equal Rights : 3. Samagra Shiksha Abhiyan 2018
A B C
(a) 2 3 1
(b) 1 3 2
(c) 1 2 3
(d) 3 2 1
Ans: (a) Explanation: Affirmative action is based on the idea that it is not enough to establish formal equality by law. It requires some more positive steps to minimize and correct cumulative effect of past inequalities. The Trafficking of Persons (Prevention, Protection and Rehabilitation) Bill, 2018 creates a law for investigation of all types of trafficking, and rescue, protection and rehabilitation of victims of trafficking. The Bill provides for the establishment of investigation and rehabilitation authorities at the district, state and national level. Anti-Trafficking Units will be established to rescue victims and investigate cases of trafficking. Rehabilitation Committees will provide care and rehabilitation to the rescued victims. Equality of opportunity implies that all people are entitled to the same rights and opportunities to develop their skills and talents. Samagra Shiksha Abhiyan envisages ‘school’ as a continuum from pre-school to senior secondary level. It plans to reach out to girls and children belonging to SC/ST/Minority/Transgender Community.
Exercising Universal Adult Franchise or “Right to Vote” by citizens of India ensures equality of political rights in electoral sphere.
Sources: NCERT Class 11th, Political Theory, chapter 3.
9. Democracy is a better form of government because
(1) It provides a more accountable form of government.
(2) It provides a method to deal with differences and conflicts.
(3) It enhances the dignity of working citizens only.
Which of the statements given above is/are correct?
(a) 1 and 2 only
(b) 3 only
(c) 1 and 3 only
(d) 1, 2 and 3
Ans: (a) Explanation: Statement (1) and statement (2) are correct but the statement (3) is incorrect because democracy enhances the dignity of all the citizens irrespective of their class, sex, work status, employment status, or race. Democracy is based on the principle of political equality, recognizing that the poorest and the least educated has the same status as the rich and the educated. A democracy requires the ruler to have to attend to the needs of the people. In a non-democratic government, it may and can respond to the people’s needs but it all depends upon the wishes of the ruler.
Source: Class Lectures and Notes
10. Which of the pairs given below are matched correctly?
1. Habeas : Arrested person Corpus should be presented before court
2. Certiorari : If the court finds that a person is holding a public office but not entitled to hold that office
3. Quo Warranto : Issued to lower authority to transfer the matter to higher authority.
4. Mandamus : Issued when the particular office holder is not performing his legal duty.
5. Prohibition : Lower court is prohibited from considering a case beyond its jurisdiction.
Select the correct answer using the code given below:
(a) 1, 2 and 4 only
(b) 1, 4 and 5 only
(c) 2, 3 and 5 only
(d) 1, 2 and 3 only
Ans: (b) Explanation: Habeas Corpus: A writ of Habeas Corpus means that the court orders that the arrested person should be presented before it. It can also order to set free an arrested person if the manner or grounds of arrest are not lawful or satisfactory. Mandamus: This writ is issued when the court finds that a particular office holder is not doing legal duty and thereby is infringing on the right of an individual. Prohibition: This writ is issued by a Higher Court (High Court or Supreme Court) when a lower court has considered a case going beyond its jurisdiction. Quo Warranto: If the court finds that a person is holding office but is not entitled to hold that office, it issues the writ of quo warranto and restricts that person from acting as an office holder. Certiorari: Under this writ, the court orders a lower court or another authority to transfer a matter pending before it to the higher authority or court. In the question asked Options 2 and 3 are interchanged. Hence, answer is (b).
Source: Indian Constitution at Work Class XI; Page 41