1. A tree species in Mauritius failed to reproduce because of the extinction of a fruit-eating bird. Which one of the following was that bird?
(b) Dodo birds species existed only on the island of Mauritius. Due to its short wings and bulky body the Dodo birds could not fly or flee in the face of danger. So human used to kill them for food. Later the species became extinct from Mauritius. This bird species was helpful in pollinating and propagating seed of trees.
2. The complete conversion of glucose, in the presence of oxygen, into carbon dioxide and water with release of energy is called
(a) aerobic respiration
(b) anaerobic respiration
(a) The complete conversion of glucose in presence of oxygen, into carbon dioxide, water and release energy is called aerobic respiration. Anaerobic respiration, occurs in the absence of oxygen.
3. Consumption of fish is considered to be healthy when compared to flesh of other animals because fish contains
(a) polyunsaturated fatty acids
(b) saturated fatty acids
(c) essential vitamins
(d) more carbohydrates and proteins
(a) Polyunsaturated fatty acid is an antioxidant, which helps in building of tissues.
4. Endoscopy, a technique used to explore the stomach or other inner parts of the body is based on the phenomenon of
(a) total internal reflection
(a) Endoscopy refers to looking inside the body through endoscope. Endoscope is an instrument used to examine interior of hollow organ of the body through borescope technique
5. Haemophilia is a genetic disorder which leads to
(a) decrease in haemoglobin level
(b) rheumatic heart disease
(c) decrease in WBC
(d) non-clotting of blood
(d) Haemophilia is a sex–linked recessive disorder. Clotting of blood is abnormally delayed that even a simple or small cut will result non stop bleeding in affected individual.