1. With reference to the North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO), consider the following statements: (1) The membership of NATO is not limited to countries on the Atlantic coast only. (2) France and Germany combined together, have the most prominent military expenditure in NATO. Which of the statements given above is/are correct? (a) 1 only (b) 2 only (c) Both 1 and 2 (d) Neither 1 nor 2 Answer: (a) Explanation: The North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO) is an international alliance that consists of 29 member states. Of the 29 member countries, two are located in North America (Canada and the United States), 26 are in Europe, and one is in both Europe and Asia (Turkey, which does not lie on the Atlantic coast). So, statement (1) is correct. According to the list "The Military Balance" 2018, published by the International Institute for Strategic Studies, The United States has the most significant defence expenditure compared to all other members combined. So, statement (2) is not correct. Therefore, the correct answer is (a). Additional Information Key Principle: It was established on 4 April 1949. Article Five of the treaty states that if an armed attack occurs against one of the member states, it shall be considered an attack against all members, and other members shall assist the attacked member, with armed forces if necessary. All members have militaries, except for Iceland which does not have a regular army (but does, however, have a coast guard and a small unit of civilian specialists for NATO operations). Three of NATO's members are nuclear weapons states - France, the United Kingdom, and the United States.
2. With reference to recently launched Accelerator Lab by UNDP-India, consider the following statements: (1) It is a global network of labs to test new solutions to global challenges like climate change and inequality. (2) In India, it will partner with Atal Innovation Mission program to find innovative solutions to some of India s most pressing challenges. Which of the statements given above is/are correct? (a) 1 only (b) 2 only (c) Both 1 and 2 (d) Neither 1 and 2 Answer: (c) Explanations: To meet 21st-century development challenges, UNDP has launched Accelerator Lab Program to provide 21st-century solutions. It is a national and global collaborative endeavor to find radical new approaches to complex development challenges. India Accelerate or Lab ill be part of a network of 60 global lab ha ill e and scale new solutions to global challenges like climate change and inequality. These laboratories will bring together grassroots ideas with new sources of real-time data and experimentation to make faster progress in meeting the ambitious Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) by 2030. So, statement (1) is correct. In India, So, statement (2) is correct. Therefore, the correct answer is (c)
3. Which of the following statements is/are correct regarding the United Nations Convention against Transnational Organized Crime (UNTOC)? (1) It has a protocol against the smuggling of migrants by land, sea and air. (2) It is the first global legally binding instrument with an agreed definition on trafficking in persons. (3) It has a protocol against the illicit manufacturing of and trafficking in firearms. Select the correct answer using the code given below. (a) 1 only (b) 2 and 3 only (c) 1 and 3 only (d) 1, 2 and 3 Answer: (d) Explanation: The United Nations Convention against Transnational Organized Crime, is the principal international instrument in the fight against transnational organised crime. The Convention is further supplemented by three Protocols, which target specific areas and manifestations of organised crime: • Protocol to Prevent, Suppress and Punish Trafficking in Persons, Especially Women and Children; o It is the first global legally binding instrument with an agreed definition on trafficking in persons to ensure uniform definition across different jurisdictions. o An additional objective of the Protocol is to protect and assist the victims of trafficking in persons with full respect for their human rights. So, statement (1) is correct. • Protocol against the Smuggling of Migrants by Land, Sea and Air; o It is the first global international instrument, where unanimously agreed definition of smuggling of migrants was developed and agreed upon. o The Protocol aims at preventing and combating the smuggling of migrants, as well as promoting cooperation among State parties, while protecting the rights of smuggled migrants and preventing the worst forms of their exploitation which often characterise the smuggling process. So, statement (3) is correct. • Protocol against the Illicit Manufacturing of and Trafficking in Firearms, their Parts and Components and Ammunition. o The objective of the Protocol, which is the first legally binding instrument on small arms that has been adopted at the global level, is to promote, facilitate and strengthen cooperation among States Parties in order to prevent, combat and eradicate the illicit manufacturing of and trafficking in firearms, their parts and components and ammunition. So, statement (2) is correct. Therefore, the correct answer is (d).
4. With reference to the Indian Ocean Naval Symposium (IONS), consider the following statements: (1) It is a series of biennial meetings among the littoral States of the Indian Ocean region. (2) It is a voluntary initiative among the navies and maritime security agencies of the member nations. Which of the statements given above is/are correct? (a) 1 only (b) 2 only (c) Both 1 and 2 (d) Neither 1 nor 2 Answer: (c) Explanation: The Indian Ocean Naval Symposium, commonly known as IONS, are a series of biennial meetings among the littoral states of the Indian Ocean region. It provides a forum to increase maritime security cooperation, providing a forum for discussion of regional maritime issues and promote friendly relationships among the member nations. So, statement (1) is correct. IONS is a security construct, voluntary in nature, which brings together the navies and maritime security agencies of the member nations. So, statement (2) is correct. Therefore, the correct answer is (c).
5. Which of the following reports are published by the World Economic Forum? (1) Travel and Tourism Competitiveness Report (2) Global Gender Gap Report (3) Global Risks Report Select the correct answer using the code given below: (a) 1 and 2 only (b) 2 and 3 only (c) 1 and 3 only (d) 1, 2 and 3 Answer: (d) Explanation: World Economic Forum is an international organisation established in 1971 as a not-for-profit foundation. It is headquartered in Geneva, Switzerland. It is independent and not tied to any institution. Annually it hosts meeting in Davos, Switzerland at the end of January. It publishes a wide range of reports like: 1. Global Competitiveness Report 2. Global Information Technology Report 3. Global Gender Gap Report 4. Global Risks Report 5. Global Travel and Tourism Report 6. Travel And Tourism Competitiveness Report Travel and Tourism Competitive Report has been recently released in September 2019. India has secured 34th out of 140 countries, improved six places from 2017. 14th Global Gender Gap Report 2020 has been recently released and India has scored a very low score of 13.8. 15th edition of Global Risk Report 2020 was released in January 2020. As per the report, the global economy is facing an increased risk of stagnation, climate change and increased threats of cyberspace. Therefore, the correct answer is (d).